Monday, January 19, 2009

Dr. Martin Luther King Day



To think he was assassinated the next day:


I was listening to a local radio station and the radio personality was asking if today's African American kids understand what it is that their community has gone through. He was only taking calls from callers that actually went through segregation and each one that called was remembering having to walk to school because they didn't have a bus that would pick them up, others had to go to the back of the bus, some remembered not being able to use a public restroom, unless they had one designated for them, all of them did state, today's youth really do not appreciate what they have gone through as a community.

As he said that, I could totally understand and see what they were saying, but if that is the case, why such hatred and why such "I deserve it" attitude? Where do they, the youth get that from?

The radio announcer (African American himself) made a point of stating Dr. MLK would not be happy with today's music (rap) and today's fashion, in particular the pants below the ass. I can see that point. He also went on to state: "black people are their own worst enemy."

I respect Dr. MLK and what he did, not only for African Americans, but for minorities in general. I think to continue his legacy, a lot needs to be taught to everyone.
Now, I say to you today my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'
Martin Luther King Jr.

ALL MEN

No comments: